Insert Coin: the ixi-play robot owl monitors toddlers, helps them learn (video)2013-08-13 21:00:00 HotNews 39人瀏覽
In Insert Coin, we look at an exciting new tech project that requires funding before it can hit production. If you'd like to pitch a project, please send us a tip with "Insert Coin" as the subject line.
Isn't a baby monitor effectively a waste of technology? With a bit more thought and an operating system, couldn't it do much more with its components than just scope your infant? That's the premise behind Y Combinator-backed ixi-play, an Android-powered robot that just launched on the Crowdhoster crowdfunding platform. On top of Android 4.2, a dual-core ARM Cortex A9 CPU, 1GB RAM and a 720p camera, the owlish 'bot has face, card and object detection, voice recognition, a touch-sensor on the head, eye displays for animations, a tweeter/woofer speaker combo and child-proof "high robustness." For motion, the team adopted a design used in flight simulators, giving ixi-play "agile and silent" 3-axis translation and rotation moves.
All that tech is in the service of one thing, of course: your precious snowflake. There are currently three apps for ixi-play: a baby monitor, language learning and animal-themed emotion cards. As the video shows (after the break), the latter app lets your toddler flash cards to the bot to make it move or emote via the eye displays, matching the anger or happiness shown on the card. In baby monitor mode, on top of sending a live (encoded) video stream to your tablet, it'll also play soothing music and sing or talk your toddler to sleep. The device will also include an SDK that includes low-level motion control and vision programming, providing a way for developers to create more apps. As for pricing, you can snap one up starting at $299 for delivery around July 24th, 2014, provided the company meets its $957,000 funding goal (pledges are backed by Crowdtilt). That's exactly the same price we saw recently for far less amusing-sounding baby monitor, so if you're interested, hit the source.
Filed under: Robots
- Chrome update for iOS lets you quickly translate text and save on data too
- Oculus Rift HD prototype VR headset appears at E3, we go hands (and eyes) on
- Keepin' it real fake: the Star S5 Butterfly clones its HTC namesake, skips the good part
- Amazon opens a store on its Chinese rival's marketplace
- TiVo co-founders joining forces for yet another set-top box
- What's on TV: Shazam!
- Thermaltake's latest gaming headset works with Alexa and Razer Chroma
- This Chrome extension brings IMDB and Rotten Tomato ratings to Netflix
- Ask Engadget: What tech can help me survive a trade show?
- Cuba's getting island-wide WiFi hotspots next month
- 189℃Google Glass app from The New York Times now available to Explorers
- 178℃Verizon matches T-Mobile's success with 1.6 million new mobile customers
- 162℃Google+ photos get more 'pop' with new dynamic range tool
- 154℃Apple will replace some faulty iPhone XS battery cases for free
- 124℃Watch Adobe show off its impressive AI-powered vertical video tech
- 118℃Cadillac’s 2021 Escalade will boast a 38-inch curved OLED screen
- 114℃The After Math: Internet trends, Apple TVs and Samsung's Finnish triumph
- 111℃Insert Coin finalist: Snapzoom scope smartphone adapter hands-on
- 03-23Google's lightweight image format makes YouTube pages load 10 percent faster
- 12-18You may be able to make in-flight calls next year, but not on Delta
- 03-14Microsoft updates its Windows Phone web demo for WP8, hopes you'll update your phone too
- 02-06NHN Japan spins off its Line messaging business to focus on its international expansion
- 07-08Droid Ultra surfaces in leaked photo, model number hints at Maxx variant
- 07-31Isis announces national deployment coming later this year
- 12-16Gartner: Smartphone sales up 20 percent, Xiaomi kicks LG out of the top 5
- 08-26Instagram's Hyperlapse app turns shaky video into smooth time-lapse
- 02-23Hitting the Books: A brief history of industrial espionage and corn
- 02-22'Minecraft Earth' gets a bit more physical thanks to new NFC-enabled minis
- 02-22Google fully explains why its apps aren't on new Huawei phones
- 02-22WSJ: Comcast's NBCUniversal is in advanced talks to acquire Vudu
- 02-21Amazon is removing listings for products that claim to cure coronavirus
- 02-21Tesla receives permission to continue working on its German Gigafactory
- 02-21'PUBG' cross party play capability for PS4 and Xbox One has arrived
- 02-21Facebook will pay for user recordings to improve speech recognition